Sunday 19 February 2012

CRAFTING WITH WONDERFUL FELT.

A warm welcome to two friends who have followed me from my other blog,  Drora and MiniAussie.  I hope you both enjoy visiting and perhaps learning something new along the way.

I love working with felt,  it's quite forgiving and best of all, doesn't fray!  There is a vast range of colours to choose from and the items that can be made are endless.  I usually just buy the pieces from Spotlight or Lincraft. They are about A4 size although you can buy it by the metre if you have a large project to make.




These cupcakes were made using a folded and rolled face-washer placed in a large paper cupcake. The brown check one is purchased, the other five are ones that I cut out and glued together.
The flowers were made from various petal shapes and stitched together. Some have been decorated with small beads.  I'm very happy with the holly berry one as I created it myself.  I pushed a plastic headed sewing pin through the flowers to keep them in place.  They make great gifts.




This hat pin hat was fun to make. To give you an idea of the size, it will sit on the palm of your hand.  It's filled with polyfil, trimmed with ribbon and roses ( mine are purchased ) you could decorate with anything that you wish.  I also made the beaded hat-pin.  I fondly remember my Nanna using beautiful pins to keep her hat in place.  The hat could also be used as a pin-cushion for sewing.




I love this little Christmas tree brooch.  Made with dark green felt cut out into a tree shape and beaded all over with beads and sequins.  It's filled slightly and a brooch clip added to the back.



 Two Christmas trees beaded in a "smocking" design. The dark green one is a bit hard to see. The shapes are cut out, then folded in half to resemble a long triangle, the "branches are formed by beading alternately all the way around which closes the gap. They can be made any height depending how large the shapes are cut.


I found this house pattern and decided to make it up. I'm not really happy with it, one day I might get around to making another one!

All of these felt items were made at my Probus club's craft days apart from  the house. We've made some fantastic crafts in the three years that it's been going.  There are about 16 of us although not always all there on the day. As I organise the craft days,  I'm always looking for new ideas and of course, I need to make the item at home first to see how it will work and how long it will take to make.

If you are a visitor here, please drop in to see my "miniatures" blog,

http://lifesgood-sandie.blogspot.com

Take care "till next time,

Vicki.






3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. This is a craft I know very little about. Can felt be cut with a punch or do you use scissors. I see many possibilities here for miniature work.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only cut with scissors as the felt that I like to use is soft and thicker than fabric. I have bought thinner, harder felt from "bargain" stores though, I think that could be punched, I'll have to experiment and let you know!
    Hugs,
    Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very clever Vicki.xx

    ReplyDelete